The envelope can then be resealed. (hmmmmmm...)
3) Use Empty toilet paper roll to store appliance cords.
It keeps them neat and you can write on the roll what
appliance it belongs to.
4) For icy door steps in freezing temperatures: get warm
water and put Dawn dishwashing liquid in it. Pour it
all over the steps. They won't refreeze.
(wish I had known this for the last 60 years)!
5) Crayon marks on walls? This worked wonderfully!
A damp rag, dipped in baking soda. Comes off
with little effort (elbow grease that is)!
6) Permanent marker on appliances/counter tops (like
store receipt BLUE)! The answer was left off so
I will take a guess of lighter fluid or paint thinner.
7) Whenever I purchase a box of SOS Pads, I immediately
take a pair of scissors and cut each pad into halves.
After years of having to throw away rusted and unused
and smelly pads, I finally decided that this would be
much more economical. And now a box of SOS pads last
me indefinitely! In fact, I have noticed that the
scissors get sharpened this way!
8) Opening brand new jars can be a feat in itself. Well,
I have found a way to make it the easiest thing to do.
Instead of banging a jar of jam, pickles, etc., with a
knife until it loosens up, I simply reach into the
drawer and pull out the handy nutcracker. It adjusts
to the size of the jar and I simply give it a good
twist and off pops the lid!
9) Blood stains on clothes? Not to worry! Just pour a
little peroxide on a cloth and proceed to wipe off
every drop of blood. Works every time!
10) Use vertical strokes when washing windows outside and
horizontal for inside windows. This way you can tell
which side has the streaks. Straight vinegar will get
outside windows really clean.
Don't wash windows on a sunny day. They will dry too
quickly and will probably streak.
11) Spray a bit of perfume on the lightbulb in any room
to create a lovely light scent in each room when the
light is turned on. Place fabric softener sheets in
dresser drawers and your clothes will smell freshly
washed for weeks to come. You can also do this with
towels and linen.
12) Candles will last a lot longer if placed in the
freezer for at least 3 hours prior to burning.
13) To clean artificial flowers, pour some salt into a
paper bag and add the flowers. Shake vigorously as
the salt will absorb all the dust and dirt and leave
your artificial flowers looking like new. Works like
14) To easily remove burnt on food from your skillet,
simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water
to cover bottom of pan, and bring to a boil on stovetop.
15) Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray
before pouring in tomato based sauces and there won't
be any stains.
16) When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan,
use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won't
be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
17) Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the
refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
18) When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to
help bring out the corn's natural sweetness.
19) Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half and
rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
20) Don't throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into
ice cubes for?nbsp; future use in casseroles and sauces.
21) To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying
soap on the area and you will experience instant relief.
22) Ants, ants, ants everywhere ... Well, they are said to
never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and
draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march.
See for yourself.
23) Use air-freshener to clean mirrors. It does a good job
and better still, leaves a lovely smell to the shine.
24) When you get a splinter, reach for the scotch tape
before resorting to tweezers or a needle. Simply put
the scotch tape over the splinter, then pull it off.
Scotch tape removes most easily.
25) Now look what you can do with Alka Seltzer.
* Clean a toilet. Drop in two Alka Seltzer tablets,
wait twenty minutes, brush and flush. The citric acid
and effervescent action clean vitreous China.
* Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of
a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two
Alka Seltzer tablets.
* Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka Seltzer tablets into
a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes.
* Clean a thermos bottle.?nbsp;?nbsp; Fill the bottle
with water, drop in four Alka Seltzer tablets, and let
soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary).
* Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping
three Alka Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by
a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then
run the hot water.
Do your friends a favor. Pass this timely (and some not-
so-timely) information on to a friend or two.
Subj:.....Some Cleaning Tips II (S272d)
From: Joke-Of-The-Day on 4/17/2002
You're getting company
in 30 minutes. Your house is a mess.
SECRET TIP 1: DOOR
SECRET TIP 2: DUCT
SECRET TIP 3: OVENS
SECRET TIP 4: CLOTHES
SECRET TIP 5: WASHING
MACHINES ? FREEZERS
SECRET TIP 6: DUST
Layers of dirty film on windows and screens
Cobwebs artfully draped over lampshades
3. Pet Hair:
Explain the mound of pet hair brushed
If unexpected company is coming, pile
If dusting is REALLY out of control,
6. General Cleaning:
Mix one-quarter cup pine
Leave dampened rags
in conspicuous locations. Develop
As a last resort,
light the oven, throw a teaspoon of
I think from Erma Bombeck... always